The Kenya Good Agricultural Practice - KENYA-GAP (formerly FPEAK Code of Practice) developed by Fresh Produce Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK), is for use by the Association's members in order to promote and ensure implementation of socially and environmentally sound production and marketing practices of fresh produce.
Requirements in the international markets for fresh produce (fruits, vegetables, flowers) appear to be raising the bar for new entrants while at the same time throwing new challenges in the path of existing growers. In recognition of the need to meet these standards of environmental management, product food safety, quality, traceability and occupational health & safety of workers, FPEAK launched the code of practice (that has so far changed its name into KENYA-GAP) in 1996 as a certification measure for producers and exporters to achieve. The code of practice covers the entire spectrum of production, food handling, transportation, packaging and waste management.
KENYA-GAP is intended to enhance the reputation of Kenya's exports by encouraging production and marketing practices that are socially, environmentally and agronomically responsible.
Certification against KENYA-GAP acknowledges that qualifying exporters are meeting internationally & Nationally recognized production practices and standards for fresh produce and provides the market buyers with a 'guarantee of confidence'.
KENYA -GAP can be utilized by individual companies or farmers as a production and a marketing tool upon certification. Internal Auditing or pre-auditing among exporters is carried out by FPEAK while external certification is done by an internationally recognized certification body.
Implementation of KENYA-GAP provides the following benefits:
- Builds and maintains Kenya's reputation as a producer of quality products thereby assuring world market preference for Kenyan products;
- Identifies and ensures producers of a rational way of production;
- Ensures proper treatment of workers and the provisions for a safe work environment;
- Enhances economic management and boosts profitability;
- Enhances sustainable long term environmental conservation;
- Enables exporting firms to meet specific import requirements and regulations;
- Provides access to information on the latest production techniques and market requirements;
- Ensures wholesome products of high quality that are produced under acceptable conditions at all stages.